How To Simulate Life In The Navy
1. Buy a dumpster, paint it gray and live
in it for 6 months straight.
2. Run all of the piping and wires inside your house on the outside of the walls.
3. Perform a weekly disassembly and inspection of your lawnmower.
4. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays turn your water temperature up to 200 degrees, then on Tuesday and Thursday turn it down to 10 degrees. On Saturdays, and Sundays declare to your entire family that they used too much water during the week, so all showering is secured.
5. Raise your bed to within 6 inches of the ceiling.
6. Have your next door neighbor come over each day at 5am, and blow a whistle so loud that Helen Keller could hear it and shout “Reveille, Reveille, all hands heave out and trice up”.
7. Have your mother-in-law write down everything she’s going to do the following day, then have her make you stand in the back yard at 6am and read it to you.
8. Eat the raunchiest Mexican food you can find for three days straight, then lock yourself out of the bathroom for 12 hours, and hang a sign on the door that reads “Secured-contact OA division at X-3053”.
9. Invite 200 of your not-so-closest friends to come over, then board up all the windows and doors to your house for 6 months. After the 6 months is up, take down the boards, wave at your friends and family through the front window of your home...you can’t leave until the next day you have duty.
10. Shower with above-mentioned friends.
11. Make your family qualify to operate all the appliances in your home (i.e. Dishwasher operator, blender technician, etc.).
12. Walk around your car for 4 hours checking the tire pressure every 15 minutes.
13. Repaint your entire house once a month.
14.Use eighteen scoops of budget coffee grounds per pot, and allow each pot to sit 5 hours before drinking.
15. Have your neighbor collect all your mail for a month, read your magazines, and randomly lose every 5th item.
16. Avoid watching TV with the exception of movies which are played in the middle of the night. Have the family vote on which movie to watch and then show a different one.
17. Sew back pockets to the front of your pants.
18. When your children are in bed, run into their room with a megaphone, and shout at the top of your lungs that your home is under attack, and order them to man their battle stations. (“General quarters, general quarters, all hands man your battle stations”)
19. Post a menu on the refrigerator door informing your family that you are having steak for dinner. Then make them wait in line for at least an hour, when they finally get to the kitchen, tell them that you are out of steak, but you have dried ham or hot dogs. Repeat daily until they don’t pay attention to the menu any more so they just ask for hot dogs.
20.When baking a cake, prop up one side of the pan while it is in the oven. Spread icing on real thick to level it off.
21. In the middle of January, place a podium at the end of your driveway. Have you family stand watches at the podium, rotating at 4-hour intervals.
22. Lock yourself and your family in your house for 6 weeks. Then tell them that at the end of the 6th week you’re going to take them to Disneyland for “weekend liberty”. When the end of the 6th week rolls around, inform them that Disneyland has been canceled due to the fact that they need to get ready for Engineering-certification, and that it will be another week before they can leave the house.
23. Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a curtain. Have you wife whip open the curtain about 3 hours after you go to sleep. She should then shine a flashlight in your eyes and mumble “Sorry, wrong rack”
24. Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of your bathtub, move the shower head to chest level. When you take showers, make sure you shut off the water while you soap down.
25. When there is a thunderstorm in your area, find a wobbly rocking chair and rock as hard as you can until you become nauseous. have a supply of stale crackers in your shirt pocket.
26. Put lube oil in your humidifier and set it on high
27. For ex-engineering types: leave the lawn mower running in your living room eight hours a day.
28. Have the paperboy give you a haircut.
29. Lock wire the lug nuts on your car.
30. Get up every night around midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on stale bread.
31. Set your alarm clock to go off at random during the night, jump up and get dressed as fast as you can making sure you button up the top button on your shirt, stuff you pants into your socks. Run out into the backyard and uncoil the garden hose.
32. Once a month, take every major appliance apart and put them back together again.
33. Install a fluorescent lamp under the coffee table and then get under it and read books.
34. Raise the thresholds and lower the top sills of your front and back doors so that you either trip or bang your head every time you pass through one of them.
35. Put on the headphones from your stereo set, but don’t plug them in. Hang a paper cup around your neck with string. Go stand in front of your stove. Say ... to no one in particular “Stove manned and ready” Stand there for three or four hours. And say again to no one in particular “stove secured” Roll up your headphones and paper cup and place them in a box.
Back to Main Daniel Boone page